Prohibited steps order

The English Family Court can make an order preventing a particular course of action in relation to a child if a dispute arises– this is known as a prohibited steps order.  These can cover a wide range of issues, including plans to relocate a child within the UK or abroad and plans to take a child on holiday.

Entitlement to apply for a prohibited steps order

Various categories of people are entitled to apply for a prohibited steps order under s8 of the Children Act 1989 including a legal parent, guardian and those with a child arrangements order for a child.

Other categories of people, for example a grandparent, must first obtain the permission of the court to apply (involving consideration of their motives, connection with the child and wider circumstances)

The court will consider each application carefully and will often commission an in-depth report from a CAFCASS officer before making a best interests decision concerning the child.

How I can help:

  • Advise and explain how a prohibited steps order would impact upon your family and/or legal status for a child (whatever your personal circumstances)
  • Advise and represent you in court in contested prohibited steps proceedings