Diverse family structures are a modern reality. Many families are created through assisted conception using donor eggs and sperm, surrogacy, adoption or re-structured following relationship breakdown and have non traditional formations, including:
- Solo mother families (conception with a known/sperm bank donor)
- Same sex families (lesbian or gay)
- Co-parenting families
- Separated families (following divorce, civil partnership dissolution, relationship breakdown)
- Families formed through adoption
- Families formed through legal guardianship
Increasing numbers of families involve adults who are not legal parents in their children’s lives, including grandparents, new partners, known donors and co-parents. They may play an important and active part in a child’s life and legal status can be conferred upon them in law in appropriate circumstances.
How I can help
I can provide help with:
- Obtaining and protecting autonomous legal parenthood for a child (eg to protect the legal status of a solo mother or a lesbian couple conceiving with a known donor)
- Acquisition of legal parenthood (eg for intended parents through surrogacy, non birth lesbian mothers, co-parents) including court proceedings for a parental order and adoption
- Legal representation in a dispute about legal status or rights for a child (eg with a known donor or a former partner)
- Other family law issues, including financial and relationship matters
- Specialist Wills appointing legal guardians for a child
You can contact me to discuss your situation in more detail by telephone +44 (0)207 4049390 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.